Here is a quick walkthrough highlighting the features of this site, which was originally posted to the Internet Governance Caucus mailing list:
- Begin at http://igf-online.net/. The menu bar that runs across the top links you to all the official and community resources you need for the IGF. If it’s not in your preferred language, try switching to French, Spanish or Russian from the Language menu (we’re still seeking Arabic and Chinese translations).
- Click the “Info/Wiki” menu and the “Calendar” item, which will take you to the IGF week by default. If you like, switch from “Week” to “Day” view using the controls on the right hand side. You can subscribe to the calendar in software such as iCal or Sunbird using the “Subscribe” link. Even non-official events can be listed here.
- Click on any event displayed in the calendar, then click again on the link in the small window that opens up, to load up a dedicated blog page for that event. As you’ll see, three links are already included in the blog post: the official workshop description, a link back to the calendar, and a wiki page for the event.
- You can contribute information about the event (such as a report, feedback, or questions) in one of two ways: by simply replying to the event blog post, or by editing the linked wiki page. (If you want to be sure the event organisers see what you write, it is best to drop them an email pointing them to it.)
- In either case, you’ll need to log in to the blog or wiki before posting to it. The easiest way to do that is with an OpenID. If you have a Google or Yahoo account, you already have an OpenID! If not, there are many places to sign up for one – see http://openid.net/get-an-openid. Or, just register on the Community Site itself.
- Say that you have something to blog about that doesn’t relate to a specific IGF event. No problem! If you have a blog of your own, drop me a link to it – I’ll add it to the aggregated RSS feed which is available under the “Feeds” link from the “Info/Wiki” menu bar. If you don’t have one, blog on the Community Site itself! Just click “Site Admin” once logged in.